[Cob] cob carbon monoxide

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 5 10:26:46 CST 2005

two links here, the first from Dr Weil (don't use his link to the CDC--or do
if you want to see how disorganized they are, use the second link instead).

I've snipped the stuff that everybody should already know--that CO poisoning
feels like the flu or something like that.

But my experience with CO detectors 15-20 years ago was really negative.
Expensive (replacing not just the element but the whole thing after it
sounded off, lots of false positives.)  I hope they've improved since then,
because they should be useful.  The quote is from Weil.

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA/

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/airpollution/carbonmonoxide/cofaq.htm

"You’re fortunate that you installed a carbon monoxide detector that alerted
you to the gas in your home. These inexpensive devices can warn of danger
before symptoms develop.

Once exposed, correct treatment requires aggressive use of oxygen therapy,
even using hyperbaric oxygen when necessary. Recovery can be slow if
treatment is not instituted promptly. In severe poisonings, long-term
psychiatric and neurological problems occur in about 10 percent of
survivors. Memory impairment can occur in up to 40 percent. The most common
personality change is emotional instability (mood swings). Resolution of
neurologic symptoms, when they occur, can take up to two years."