[Cob] carbon monoxide...

aaron allen cobmailbox at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 14:46:20 CST 2005

I am fully aware that CO is a completely odorless gas, but most times the backdraft that will bring CO into your living space is going to be detectable as smoke entering the living space.  If you take precaution to monitor your fireplace and notice how such backdrafts occur you can learn how to almost completely prevent them by 1) changing chimney position, or 2) adding a diverter to the top of the chimney to control air pressure .  that being said, I belive that the main concern would be after you have gone to sleep and cannot monitor the fire.  in such a circumstance I belive the only safe method, if you must keep the fire burning, is to have a CO detector.  all fireplaces require an air source to fuel the fire, and it is this air source that CO can backdraft through.  there is no such thing as a safe fireplace, just safe and practical operation.  a few tips: 1) burn small, dry kindling, in hot, quick burning fires.  2) monitor your fireplace, especialy in high wind zones.  learn
 what directions the wind is coming from and sheild the chimney top accordingly.  backdraft occurs because external air pressure is higher than internal.  spinner style chimney toppers (look like a roman helmet) are very effective in turbulent wind conditions which require constant adjustment.  they maintain negative air pressure no matter what way the wind blows.
please feel free to criticize this opinion.  CO is dangerous and I would not want to give any other impression.
aaron
cobmailbox at yahoo.com