[Cob] skylights!

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:20:59 CST 2005

Congratulations, you have reinvented the (take your pick) Sun Tube, Tube
Skylight, Tube Light, Sun light.  I have one that was supposed to have been
put in the barn.  I'd like to get it in somewhere!  Every one I've talked to
here says that sealing is (almost, at least) the same whether you have air
or a straw bale plus sod a la Tony Wrench on your roof.

Last time I looked there looked to be a dozen or so manufacturers,
distributors, retailers.  From MLM to the local big box hardware store and
these guys--who didn't listen to either me or Dankoff when I asked them for
a quote on a water system--maybe they're better on other subjects.

http://www.bigfrogmountain.com/suntunnel.html

Aaron Allen wrote:

I have been pondering the skylight question a lot since first posting it,
"does anyone have any ideas regarding homemade skylight design",
and I have come up with at least one great new (new to me) idea.  the basics
of that design are this.
1) a cylinder, or portal that extends from inside the living space to
outside.
2) a pyrex or other large glass bowl turned upside down over the portal on
the outside of the roof.
3) some type of gasket between the top edge of the portal and the glass
bowl.
4) a device to anchor the glass bowl against the portal (for my living roof
I envision a ring around the lip of the bowl, with anchors attached to the
ring and weighted under the sod)
5) some type of flashing to waterproof the roof/portal intersection (I
thought of many ways to do this. my main concern was how to attach the glass
in a waterproof manner)