[Cob] making a cob sandwich?

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Wed Jan 5 19:25:36 CST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 04:30:58PM -0800, Karen wrote:
>Ianto, Linda and company at the Cob Cottage built a 2 story bale-cob
>house with the bales set on edge, mortared with cob and coated on both
>sides with 3+ inches of cob (not sure about the thickness).  They had
>some wood framing, though I think it was for interior light-straw
>walls.

Thanks Karen.  Do you know what sort of load-bearing that combination
could take?  What sort of span could it safely cover?  Having straw bale
insulation on the roof and in the ceilings between floors would be nice
as far as giving the adults some peace of mind when the kids are running
around upstairs.  How practical would this be for three stories?

Jonathan

--
Puritan: Purity of faith, Purity of doctrine. Sola Scriptura!
Eukleia: Jonathan Walther

Patriarchy, Polygamy, Slavery === Fatherhood, Husbandry, Mastery
Matriarchy, Monogamy, Prisons === Wickedness, Stupidity, Buggery

          It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
     but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.