[Cob] RE: Susan's foundation

Mary Lou McFarland louiethefifth at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 10 13:48:47 CST 2005

My experience with re-bar is with roads, not building, so here goes.  All
re-bar is rusty,  but it doesn't matter.  In order to create rust you need
air, moisture and of course, the metal.  The rebar should be elevated within
the concrete so it isn't sitting on the gravel.  Ideally it will be smack
dab in the middle of the thickness of the concrete.  If your location is
properly drained then the concrete shouldn't wick excessive moisture so
you've taken care of that ingredient of the equation.  As long as the
concrete doesn't crack then there will be no air reaching the re-bar.  If
your concrete should crack then fix the crack promptly.  If properly done
then the surface rust already on the re-bar is inhibited.  I wouldn't use
any kind of wire because it just isn't strong enough to hold.  When wire is
used then it 's like a woven wire fencing stuff that is for flat expanses,
not for a footing, bond beam, stem wall, etc.  Let's say you do have a
tremor and your continuous footing that your cob wall is built on has been
re-enforced with wire.  The earth will move the concrete will snap and
crack.  The wire will break like a string and the broken concrete will roll
off with the displaced earth.  If it is re-enforced with re-bar the earth
will still move and the concrete will still crack but the re-bar will hold
that chunk in place so it doesnt go rolling off and hopefully you still have
a wall and you still have roof.  You might still have to replace everything
to make it safe but you will still be around to tell the tale.  Personally,
I would use re-bar in concrete but I wouldn't use it in cob.  Cob, by
definition, is a material that breathes and can take in and release moisture
from the air so you have all the parts to that rusty recipe of air, moisture
and metal.  There you go, probably more than my two cents worth ,but I hope
it helps you out.