[Cob] RE: cob/lime wash and MCS

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 10:01:23 CST 2005

I've got a stack of allergies and a couple of chemical sensitivities.

Pure hydrated lime, clay, and clean sand don't support much in the way of
life.  Mixing a bag of hydrated lime into water ought to be done when you
have a respirator/heavy duty dust mask on, though.  Charmaine Taylor says
that Rubbermaid tubs are the least awful to use.  She may be right, olive
barrels sure don't make it.

You need to visit cob and straw-bale houses, especially under construction.
Stacking bales can be a pretty dusty business.  If someone in your area is
doing earthbag, try to visit that too.  I've heard that just plain sawn wood
can aggrevate sensitivites--is someone working with ROUND WOOD--might be
less aggravating than, say fresh sawn oak.

Does anyone know if RICE STRAW would be a better bet than wheat, oats, or
barley?  It would have to come from a long ways away.  And it would be
harder to work.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Ianto Evans may not be right for all of us
when he espouses TINY houses.  Especially if you have enough clothes to
stuff a closet, and bookcases full of books.  Fresh air circulating is good.
  Especially in those areas.  It CAN be done.  But I'm afraid that you get
to design the system for yourself.

Almost more important than building materials is going to be design.
Drainage, and ventilation are things you need to do some serious study on.

I wish I'd thought of this kind of design earlier.  I'm only now hearing
about ventilation in closets, so they almost cannot smell musty.  And that's
something that has to be designed in early.

At a guess, on-grid electricity will be pretty important for you, so you can
dehumidify, and NOT use propane or wood or kerosene for heating and cooking
and lighting.  And you could--if you can find one--get an air exchange heat
pump type of water heater.  It has dehumidification and cooling as
byproducts--doesn't work well in cold air, though, I'm told.

Audrey wrote (snipped):

Does anyone have experience with multiple chemical sensitivity
(MCS, a.k.a. environmental illness, chemical injury) and the lime wash used
for cob?  Due to severe chemical sensitivities and the offgassing of
traditional building materials and the unhealthy indoor air quality I am
researching so called alternative building techniques. I have come to
understand that the best indoor air quality to be made comes from straw bale
construction, however, as I would be doing the work myself and mold is a
great concern (mold is what is making me so ill in the house I am currently
living in) I am gun shy to exhaust my resources on this technique.  Therefor
I am leaning toward cob construction but again I am uncertain of the
constant moisture here on the ocean shore.  I am right on the coast of Maine
so sea mist and fog is constant.  Most promising technique right now seems
to be a stick build exterior (no plywood) and cob interior --but need to
know of others' experience with the lime wash and chemical intolerence. I
would greatly appreciate any knowledge and experience you are willing to
share.

God bless you and stay well,

Audrey Emerson
www.audicaofmaine.com