[Cob] Please heed dangers of quicklime

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Wed Jan 12 02:31:58 CST 2005

An important difference to note:  hydrated lime and "quick" lime are
completely different materials.

Calcium Hydroxide or "hydrated lime" (CaH2O2) can be mixed into
concrete, or mixed with sand and water to form mortar - a relatively
safe procedure, though the caustic nature of this lime must be
observed.  (Don't allow wet hydrated lime mixtures to make contact with
unprotected skin, eyes, etc.)

Calcium Oxide or "quicklime" (CaO) is a a very different material which
liberates a huge amount of kinetic energy/heat when "slaked" (i.e.
mixed with water) If not slaked/hydrated properly, quicklime can burn
holes in plastic barrels or even explode, covering you with very
caustic lime and blinding you if it gets in your eyes!

Please, Charmaine, could you describe the proper safe way to hydrate
quicklime?  I'm nervous about how little we natural builders seem to
know about this dangerous material...

Thanks,
Ocean