[Cob] Please heed dangers of quicklime

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 08:20:26 CST 2005

I've always thought that quicklime was also spelled "don't try this at
home."

Hydrated lime is bad enough when you pour the dry powder into water.  The
powder goes everywhere.  But it only takes a minute so I figure I can get by
without a dust mask or respirator.  Bad idea.  Especially if I have lung
problems.  And I've cracked the skin on my hand a couple of times finishing
concrete without gloves.  Concrete is high in lime.

In my large and sparsely populated county there are no sellers of hydrated
lime.  In the county to the south, with shopping centers and big box
hardware stores, if anyone sells it I haven't found them, and I looked hard,
a couple of years ago.  Actually that's not true--in the summer the grocery
store sells food grade lime for pickling purposes in relatively expensive
2-pound bags or boxes.  Not much use for building.  The Mexican Indians who
made their own tortillas from whole corn bought their lime in 50 pound bags
labeled "not for human consumption."

But the TSC (Tractor Supply Company--good-sized nationwide I think chain
store) in the county to the east can get it, stocks it seasonally--spring.

And for some reason the farmer's CO-OP in the tiny county to the north seems
to have hydrated lime all the time.  Ours doesn't.  The one in the county to
the south doesn't.  Didn't get around to trying the west side.

Horse people use it a lot, to sweeten stalls.
Ocean replies to Anenhaienton (both snipped):

An important difference to note:  hydrated lime and "quick" lime are
completely different materials.

Calcium Hydroxide or "hydrated lime" (CaH2O2) can be mixed into concrete, or
mixed with sand and water to form mortar - a relatively safe procedure,
though the caustic nature of this lime must be observed.  (Don't allow wet
hydrated lime mixtures to make contact with unprotected skin, eyes, etc.)

I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I