[Cob] test & mix quicklime

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed Jan 12 12:22:35 CST 2005

Robert VC-- please tell us how YOU did it too pelase since you were
successful....

  There is a basic tennant on  chemistry stuff.

Do as you OTTA add ACID to WATER.  so ALWAYS add LIME to WATER

  in a clean container..and yes I love the 32 gal rubbermaid or other
sturdy totes with lids.  It's easy to bend over and  get mix out... a
50 gal drum means leaning way over to get to the bottom eventually..not
good for short people, and you get lime in your armpits.

So always add the lime to a pail  or tub of water...not the other way
around.

Hydrated lime will not exploded on mositure contact, but quicklime
can... the danger is that is will go for ANY moisture..that means your
eyes, nostrils mouth... so that is why it is considered dangerous.

Dave Cull a Canadian artist and user of Stonehemp..-his own  mix of
hemp and quicklime putty.... told me he started a fire in a cement
mixer because there was still some moisture in the mixer.. he added
some dry quicklime and it burst into flame for a few moments..

++++++++++++++++++++++++
OK now that  your are warned here is the deal.

  to TEST the quicklime  you  ( just this once) put lumps or dry QL into
a clean pail.  Add water carefully and slowly.   stand back   if it is
feeble is will take 30 minutes to fully bubble and turn to a milky wet
mix. If it is highly active it will "boil" and turn to a wet mix fully
in 5 minutes.

this tells you how 'hot' the quicklime is.        always have clean
running water ( a hose at the ready) and  pails of water for dousing.

TO SLAKE
Always use a solid metal or wooden trough.  Put the water in first...
wearing complete protection add the powder quicklime to the water
slowly while someone ' hoes' the  mix... it will begin  to "boil"--
this is an exothermic reaction releasing heat and  steam..  not
anything toxic.

then just let it sit.

See ASTM C5 X1 for the best directions on fully testing and  slaking
and Lime is SLAKED only once. when the chemistry is taking place..
after that any hydrated lime you put into water is SOAKED

Charmaine Taylor Publishing    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  -- 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  &  www.papercrete.com

New& Used books: www.biblio.com