[Cob] Lime

robert at edgewaterNW.com robert at edgewaterNW.com
Wed Jan 12 10:50:45 CST 2005

I found quicklime at a regional industrial supply company. They sell it
by the ton. Quicklime can be purchased in various grain sizes. I used
the nugget size -about 1/2 inch rocks- so the dust was minimal. Proper
eye and skin protection is needed.

  Members of this list make it sound extremely dangerous. I would say
that it is like most things- be aware of what you are doing and you
should have no problems. If the reaction seems to be getting out of
control- stir more and/or add more water. Start with a small mix and
see what the reaction looks like. It is a lot of fun once you put the
fear behind you.

I slaked a ton (over the course of a month) and it has been aging for 4
months now. A ton makes a lot of putty!

The lime putty is available for sale. If anyone is interested please
contact me off-list.

Robert vanCreveld
Edgewater NW
POB 130, Newport, OR 97365
541-563-4227

robert at edgewaterNW.com

Consulting Sanitarians- Onsite Sewage Treatment system design,
maintenance and supply
Water and Energy Services and Supply
Manufacturers Representatives and Dealers for a wide range of water and
energy conserving products including: The Waterless No-Flushâ„¢ Urinal,
Caroma dual flush toilets, Niagara Conservation Flapperless toilets,
Orenco Advantex systems, Omni Laminar Flow controls,  Solar Electric,
African Windpower, MicroHydro,...