[Cob] Pickling lime

Jon Kerr jonskerr at visi.com
Thu Jan 13 02:23:09 CST 2005

On Wednesday, January 12, 2005, at 05:30  PM, Elizabeth Fox wrote:

> Will the hydrated lime rub off as well?  What is the finished texture
> like?

Ooh! I know this one!  This is one I actually know the answer to!  Whee!

As Ocean mentioned before, hydrated lime is calcium oxide, which the
important part is the mineral calcium. Your bones are made of it! The
chemical processes it goes through change it from its original form,
which was limestone, into calcium hydroxide etc etc. As the lime
plaster is exposed to the air, the carbon dioxide (or was it oxygen?)
in it returns the lime putty to its original state. The end product is
limestone again!

So whatever you coat with a lime plaster will eventually be covered
with a layer of rock.

Jon