[Cob] Re: Sorry Jon...

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Thu Jan 13 03:51:57 CST 2005

Sorry Jon Kerr!  Based on your posting, you don't "know this one"...

First of all, I didn't say that hydrated lime was calcium oxide, but
rather CALCIUM HYDROXIDE ( CaH2O2 )  Calcium oxide is quicklime.

And no, our bones are not made of quicklime/calcium oxide, but rather
calcium carbonate ( CaCO3 ) the same material as limestone..

So let's take a moment to review the whole process!

"Quicklime" (calcium oxide or CaO) is formed when "limestone" (calcium
carbonate or CaCO3) is quarried and fired/kilned at high temperatures.
This resultant highly reactive & caustic material can be slaked by
adding water (H2O) which forms "hydrated lime" (calcium hydroxide or
CaH2O2).

When hydrated lime is added to water and applied to a surface as a
limewash, the resultant finish gradually recombines with free carbon
dioxide (CaO2) in the atmosphere and becomes calcium carbonate once
more.  At this point your lime plaster has returned to its original
state, limestone!

My understanding of the traditional preference for lime putty ("slaked"
quicklime) vs. "builders" hydrated lime is that dry powdered hydrated
lime in the bag has already begun exposure to the CO2 of the atmosphere
so may already have recombined into CaCO3 even before application.
This doesn't happen with traditional lime putty, which is kept in water
or hydrated (for up to three generations!!) and hence doesn't begin the
final process of recombining into CaCO3 until the lime plaster has been
applied to a wall and beings to "dry".

Is this clear, or does anyone have any additional thoughts?

Ocean