[Cob] solar radiant sand bed under cob cottage

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 23 11:40:16 CST 2005

To some extent the more of that sub-surface area you can heat the better.
Particularly if you have insulated heavily.  Not just the foundation, but
maybe even out from there.  Even in a small well-insulated shed, Don
Stephens was able to stabilize temperatures after a couple of YEARS of
leaving it alone.  Unfortunately the AGS link here isn't right, the one
comparing it to PAHS is, though.  PAHS is fascinating, the book is still
available.  There are houses from Virginia to Pac Northwest still using one
system or the other.  But Stephens' version is simpler.

You run into big troubles if you have groundwater on your site.  Unless you
only use it for cooling.

http://www.greenershelter.com/index.php?pg=2

Most everybody I've heard from who has radiant floors LOVES them.  The late
Ken Kern, however, hated them.  I think they work best for neat freaks.

Karl wrote(heavily snipped):

the trouble:
the problem as i understand it is heat also conducts down into the sand bed
from the alternate source of heat an example is normal radiant heat located
above the sand bed in the earthen-cob/cement floor.

a solution:
drycreek overcame this by not putting upper radiant tubes above the solar
radiant sand bed.

the real problem:
i plan to build a small cob cottage & want to heat the whole floor.