[Cob] solar radiant sand bed under cob cottage

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sun Jan 23 18:08:52 CST 2005

There is no problem with heat transferring into an earthen floor from a
radiant heat source (such as fireplace or woodstove) which would be
heated additionally by hydronic solar collectors.

In fact, a "normal" cob floor does get warm to touch after absorbing
heat from the room.  Plus most cob cottages designed by Ianto have a
passive solar collection of heat through large south facing windows.

This is one of the major "selling points" of cob:  its inherent large
thermal mass in walls and floor which absorbs ambient heat and then
re-emits it radiantly into the space.

"Thermal Gortex" seems an unnecessary complication!

Ocean