[Cob] structural strength and seismic resistance calculations

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 18:07:08 CST 2005

The Stanley Park guys can be emailed, phoned, or faxed.  STart with "contact
us" on their site, then click on "email"--it might be in a snake that bit
position (American saying for something right in front of you "if it had
been a snake, it would have bit"  I didn't think that there was a clickable
link there--but it opens, at least in Microsoft's software, an email with
the address filled in).  Or at least one of them is here, and may reply as
well.

Sometimes in the U.S. south-west, at least, adobe codes are applied to cob
or rammed earth.  Here's an engineer's guide to straw bale and rammed earth
(Possible that Walnut Books in County Cork may carry it as well--or Amazon
UK):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0964471817/qid=1106867569/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/104-3912253-9893536?v=glance&s=books

Gernot Minke has written a (THE?) textbook on earthen building, a
pamphlet--on-line--on building with pumice.

And a pamphlet on earthen buildings in seismic areas, with some
documentation of one of his student's experiments of the influence of shape
and construction on his ability to smash models.   It's still available
on-line:

http://www2.gtz.de/Basin/publications/books/ManualMinke.pdf

Robert wrote:

I live in Spain and to build a cob structure I have to work with an
architect to product a project for the College of Architects in Granada.
All new homes need this approval. This project will contain the
structural strength and seismic resistance calculations to demonstrate
they meet the required standards.  In order to do this we need to find
others may have done similar calculations with this material.
With regard to seismic tests I have seen the web site
http://stanleyparkecology.ca/programs/cob/index.html but I believe we
need more detail than this site provides.

Looking forward to hearing from you