[Cob] RE: green treated lumber

Mary Lou McFarland louiethefifth at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 11:49:38 CST 2005

I don't know if it is labeled to designate that it has been treated
differently.  When I saw the spot on This Old House, Tommy Silva said that
it had been in  use for the last two years, but this was the first that I
had heard of it. He also said it was specified for home use, so I don't know
if the copper/arsenic treated lumber is still being used as an industrial
product.  Anyway, it might indicate a change in home building code.  I don't
know for sure.  If you have access to a building center where  the staff
seem more knowledgeable, you could try there.  They might also have to keep
on hand MS/DS sheets so that might also be a place to check.  If all else
fails I suppose we could e-mail TOH, especially since they have the new show
called ASK THIS OLD HOUSE that was developed especially for interaction.
Try pbs.org.
This might be a good thing for those who wanted to try green treated lumber
for raised bed gardening but were afraid of the arsenic.