[Cob] Building Plans for Cob/Natural buildings

Willy willy at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Jan 31 16:08:44 CST 2005

Before I get to my question, let me tell you about how I got here.  I've
read this story from other cobbers in the mailling lists and books, but I
am blown away by the common interest that this topics inspires in us.  A
theory I'm coming up with is that building shelter from nature is
instinctual and we've been running from our natural selves for so long
now that it is no wonder why this feels so right.

I have been living in a townhome for 10 years.  Mortgaged it in my early
20's and have been watching money fly away since.  Special assesment, cash
calls, mortgage intrest.  That's just monetary, what about the negative
impact it has on my life.  Gas guzling, off gassing, conformity, bylaw
bullies, no gardening, not even compost (Safety Issue).  To top it all off
the children aren't allowed to play like children outside.  Heck I may as
well keep them cooped up inside playing video games... (rant over)

As this awakening was occuring the idea of sustainability kept druming at
me from local independant media services.  When I searched online for
sustaible living I found Cob.  How screwed up are we that I need to learn
what Natural Building is from the internet.  Ironic?

Thats behind me, I have a clear vision for a few years from now.  From the
sounds of it, many of us are following the same calling.  It feels so good
to be going to a place I can feel like I'm at home.

Thanks everyone for this great resource.

I've read the archives and as many resources as I can, like a sponge I
am soaking it all up.  As an experienced dreamer I've learned to
solidify my vision before getting knee deep in mud.  Although in this
case that is actually the goal.

I would like to see some examples of formalized plans.  I would also like
to see a guide or a checklist of considerations required before getting
started.  I would like these to be compatible with engineers and
inspectors, by being prepared to field all questions beforehand I believe
the end results will be better.

How should I draw up my ideas so that they can make sense to other people?

Cheers,
Billy Baker

willy at sdf.lonestar.org