[Cob] Building Plans for Cob/Natural buildings

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:02:21 CST 2005

Might be a little hard, particularly with cob. The Evans (et al) book does a
pretty fair job, though.

a) many people have gone through the planning process, seen how slowly the
work goes (although that may be changing) and said, "I've got to pare down
to essentials."  And since essentials are likely to be different for each
person, plans that are perfect for someone else--e.g. Ianto Evans in The
Hand Sculpted House--may well strike you as perfectly frightful.  For
instance, he's not very tall, so he things high ceilings are not cozy or
intimate.  Somebody 6'5" walking into his house might be very uncomfortable.
  Someone who tends towards claustrophobia might find his house designed
well enough that they love it, might just think that out in the garden is a
better place to be.

b) Most of the people doing cob have gone out of their way to be under the
official radar for building.  One or two here are officially doing
post-and-beam with cob infill or something of the sort.  So those under the
radar may well be making it up as they go.  A lot of thought, some sketches
to see if it feels strong, if it looks like everything they HAVE to have
with them has a home, and go for it. The guy who was helping me build the
summer before last, it would have flat out driven him crazy.

c) And part of the point is that people who are choosing to build this way
really do want to be building in a site-specific manner.  This may be less
true for the British sites I was looking at this morning, or anywhere "lot"
instead of "land" is what you have.  A plan that would be perfect RIGHT here
(trapezoids and wedge shapes are pretty necessary, also retaining walls and
banging through rock ledges) would be stupid in the relatively level space
up the hill, or on the wide ledges and deep soil down towards the bottom.

So you could go look at travel trailers, a lot of teensy house sites, talk
to a lot of people.  And learn how to evaluate floor plans, if you don't
know already.  Maybe even do the exercises--e.g., list every house you ever
lived in, write down what you loved and hated about each.

I ran into a site this morning for a house just a bit over 12 x 12 (feet).
Not for me, thank you.  The travel trailer is not that much bigger and a lot
more comfortable, but it would be easy to build, has a lovely set of
porches, etc.  No room for books, though.

http://www.livingarchitecturecentre.com/projects/econo.htm

And do work through this process as you look at the land you are buying.
Alexander is big on not doing "plans," but laying rooms out on the ground
(so is Evans), taking great pains with what your morning coffee sitting
place view is, and so on:

http://www.patternlanguage.com/smallhouse/smallhouseframe.htm?/leveltwo/../smallhouse/smallhousetable.htm

Consider strength.  I put up the Gernot Minke booklet available free on .pdf
frequently.  It's a lot about earthen building in seismic areas, AND a lot
about how to make your walls strong, no matter where you are.  But I think
I've posted it recently.
Willy (Billy Baker) wrote (snipped of his compliments to all of us--thank
you):

I would like to see some examples of formalized plans.  I would also like to
see a guide or a checklist of considerations required before getting
started.  I would like these to be compatible with engineers and inspectors,
by being prepared to field all questions beforehand I believe the end
results will be better.

How should I draw up my ideas so that they can make sense to other people?