[Cob] FW: Cob Code Research Project, Plus ??'s

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Feb 9 16:58:52 CST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Marlin wrote:

> I thought an innovative design was to build a 'temp' roof over the
> project area, supported by posts that were a few feet OUTSIDE the
> building envelope, planned in such a way to be supportive ENOUGH during
[snip]

Perhaps I am over reacting to your above statement, but even if my
interpretation is not what you meant, I think the following is
important for people to realize.

One of my concerns about the "temp" roof concept is that people will go
with a less than sound temporary structure to support the roof while they
are putting up the building because "it's only temporary".  Frankly, the
only time you need the roof while building is during bad weather, the
exact conditions which stress the roof and its support framework the most
(aside from the potential siesmic events), making these "temporary"
designs exceedingly dangerous.  Personally, if I were to go this route,
even though it was temporary, I would mount it as though the roof needed
to stand there alone for decades, anything less is potentially suicidal.

The building I am living in right now was struck by 90MPH winds when the
walls were only about 1/3 of full height, imagine what would have happened
to a roof suspended over such a structure with anything less than a solid
structural framework tying it to the ground.  At the very least it would
have gotten knocked over, possibly it would have even gone airborn,
possibly landing at the neighbors if it weren't for a row of very tall
trees between us.  Consider also possible snow loads, ice, etc.  Keep in
mind that even if you start in early summer, and plan on easily having the
walls done before winter comes, life often gets in the way, and many
houses go through their first Winter well short of completion.  My
workshop is a prime example of this, started in Summer, experienced
cobber/builder, should have been finished last September at the latest,
things came up, walls are 3/4 complete, roof framework is 3/4 complete,
haven't touched it since mid December (no, not the weather everyone knows
I'm crazy enough to keep building :-) just don't have the time right now.