[Cob] exterior wall thickness at the top

Bill&Julie wbates at mn.rr.com
Thu Feb 10 17:02:53 CST 2005

Hello Scott,,,  That is a $64000 question...
Number 1. Not all cob is created equal.
Number 2. the Robustness of the support walls
depend on how much weight they support.
Number 3. Design is a big factor, curved walls
vs. streight. Pilasters or not.
Number 4. The amount of humidity variance.

First I would figure out how much the roof
will weigh. And then divide that weight along
the length of the bearing walls.
That would mean that if 10 foot of wall has
to carry 1 ton, then that is 200 lbs per foot
of wall length.

Now with these in mind, I would build
short , small test walls. With attention to
quality control, so one could repeat the mix.
And then load the wall to the breaking point.

So if the wall you build breaks at 200 lbs,
I would build it twice as thick... ( @least )

( These numbers are for illustration only )

ô¿ô   bill