[Cob] Post & Beam vs Cob Structural Wall

SANCO Business Group, LLC chansey at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 11 07:04:22 CST 2005

Shannon/Lance,

Both of you have a sound basis for what you want to do and some of the objections
noted to both types of construction can be incorporated into the structure without
compromise of  "pure cob" standards or throwing out the post and beam
types who want to incorporate cob.

Looking at the nation as a whole, building with alternative materials is getting
more and more difficult.  Oregon in particular has adopted the IRC and will be effective
April 2005 with some allowances for 1 and 2 family dwellings.  I have posted natural
building code variances or permitted uses at   http://www.sanco-bg.com  for the western
states.

Since most jurisdiction are going to require a structural sign-off from
an engineer, a Post & Beam that incorporates cob or other natural materials
as wall "in-fill" will pass muster much more easily than a loading bearing
cob structure.  There are many factors that go into deciding what do I want to build
vs what can I afford to build and over what period of time.  Most DIY natural building
projects are spoken of in terms of years to construct rather than months as for
tract housing.

As creative as most natural builders are, curved walls and incorporation of the
posts into the wall system can easily be accomplished.  Shannon's comments on the
subject of the temp roof becoming permanent is so true.  Seen more than one odd-ball
structure that just fell short of the completion mark.

Take a look at an alternative pole barn concept that I built for my work shop at
http://www.sanco-bg.com/Pole%20Barns.htm.  I used 30-40 year old power poles (minimal
off-gassing if any) and used or salvaged materials.  Just an idea and not intended
to start a flame war or influence converts--it's just a work shop for greasy, oily,
dirty construction equipment.

SANCO Business Group
Paul Salas, Gen Mgr
PO Box 45741