[Cob] Re:Design Concept (washed dung)

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 09:26:06 CST 2005

The trouble with most brown coats is that they are  brown. The reason for
this is the use of dung as the main ingredient. I have  been working with a new
material*,  washed horse dung.  I just  got through experimenting with panels
made of washed dung. The panels feel like  wood, and they take on the color of
the clay that I mix with the dung.
    Washed dung is made by putting horse dung in a  bucket and adding about 1
1/4 parts water to one part clean fresh dung  (by volume) and stirring it
vigorously. I use a paint mixing paddle in an  electric drill.  I then poured the
dung out into a pair of old panty hose,  which I can tie to the top of the
bucket with a bungee cord, I step on the panty  hose to wring out the water and
then repeat this two or three times. The  resulting fiber is mixed at about
one part clay to three parts washed dung. Then  add sufficient water to make a
thick plaster. I am using a beautiful  red clay and the dung takes on the color
of the clay with no noticeable  darkening effect. The strength of the
resulting panels will surprise you.
    They can be sanded or you can let it dry then  re-moisten it and refinish
it to get a flat surface because it tends to get  lumpy as it dries. I am
thinking about trying the wet/dry sanding sponges. Once  it is smoothed to your
liking it can be painted with linseed oil, urethane  finished and waxed.
     I am looking for a supply of green, yellow or  blue clay next to see how
they work. If anyone has a good supply in the  Washington, DC area let me
know.
    This summer I am going to try setting up a  hydroponic system to see if
the manure tea washed from the dung will work as an  Allen Cooper** style
nutrient film. This of course will be done with a  conductivity tester since many
horse owners feed their animals salt.
Ed

*Well it is new to me anyway
**The ABC of NFT by Dr. Allen Cooper
(Pictures of a finished panel are available upon  request)