[Cob] Cow's make better dung than horses!

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Mon Feb 14 08:25:57 CST 2005

Kiko and I have used cow dung in our finish plasters - much superior to
horse, since cows send the grass through several stomachs and the
resulting fiber is very fine.  Kiko didn't wash the dung first, just
mixed it into our clay slip and fine sand mix - the liquid part of the
dung includes natural binders, helps the plaster stick together.

Regarding the smell, it's quite pungent when straight from the cow.  If
the dung is left to dry out in the sun, the smell goes away.  Or if you
must use smelly plaster containing fresh dung, the smell also goes away
when the plaster dries.

Very important to get the dung from hay- or pasture-feeding cows - if
they are eating corn feed, forget it, the dung is full of undigested
corn kernels (poor cows have a hard time digesting corn!)

You can see examples of Kiko's fine plaster sculptures at
http://www.intabas.com/kikodenzer.html

Ocean Liff-Anderson
Intaba's Wood Fired Eatery
http://www.intabas.com