[Cob] wood ashes and concrete

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 19 17:48:50 CST 2005

What holds up cob, mortar, adobe, etc. etc. etc. is the stuff that doesn't
dissolve in water, isn't water, and doesn't crumble into powder on its
own--i.e., nice sharp builder's sand (there's a nice discussion in a mystery
story called Fault Line about desirable and undesirable qualities of
different SANDS--why on earth would this be in a mystery story?  both the
author--Sara Andrews--and her heroine are geologists--people either love or
hate the series.).

So I'd guess that SAND could be the missing ingredient.

I can guess why the wood ashes are in there, not sure about the
salt--although there's a fair amout of salt in many whitewash recipes.

Lucynda Riley wrote:

  i found a recipie through a self sufficient living website I am a member
of to make a type of concrete using salt, water, and wood ashes.  It
actually worked pretty well.  I made a small dap of it on a cookie sheet and
had to smash it with a hammer before I could break it loose.  Ofcourse it
crumbled into pieces after that.  Through some experimenting i learned that
its hard like concrete until you break the shiny surface on top, then it
crumbles.  Its also becomes soft again once it gets wet.
  Is there anything I could add to it to cause it to not soften when it gets
wet or to crumble into pieces once the surface is broken?