[Cob] experience with Waterglass?

otherfish otherfish at comcast.net
Thu Feb 24 21:51:46 CST 2005

I have a ball of cob that was made with linseed oil added to the mix.  It's
been sitting out in the rain fro two winters now and has not eroded
significantly or taken on any water at all.  Don't know how much linseed
oil, but guess it to be a fairly low percent of the mix.  Sort of like the
asphalt emulsion stabilization technique use in manufactured abobe brick.
This is a much better method of cob protection than a sourface only
treatment as is the case with waterglass.  Check out the standards for Adobe
in the Uniform Building Code , try the reference section in your local
library.
cob on,
otherfish