[Cob] Mechanical cob vs. instruction by cob "experts"

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sat Mar 5 01:09:00 CST 2005

Clay slip, uniformly mixed with sand and straw by a mixer/tractor will
form a cob mix as strong as a foot mixed blend, in our experience.  The
microscopic level described in the previous posting by M.A.T. is nice
theory, but not the only truth!

The key is to understand that the clay acts as the "glue", much like
Portland cement, to hold together aggregate - sand - and fiber - straw.
  This is the essence of cob.  If you can get a uniform amount of clay
to coat each grain of sand and each fiber of straw then you will have
strong cob.

Cement mixers, bobcat/tractor cob, horses stomping or humans stomping -
all can make good cob or lousy cob, depending on the ratios and mixing
of clay/sand/straw/water.

A problem I've observed before on the coblist electronic forum is
repeated in this discussion - here we are discussing cob without any
clay or sand or straw to feel, touch, stomp on, or otherwise physically
experience.  It's very hard to conceptualize how to make "good" cob
without a physical demonstration of the process.

I recommend taking a class or workshop taught by an experienced
teacher, either through Cob Cottage Company, Becky Bee, Kleiworks, or
some other cob building educational organization.  Or as an
alternative, have an apprentice from one of the above organizations
come and lead a workshop for you.  This way you'll have
hands-on/foots-on demonstration of how to make structurally superior
cob.  And you'll never again wonder whether your cob is strong enough
to hold up your house.

Ocean Liff-Anderson
_____

Steward, Ahimsa Sanctuary  http://www.peacemaking.org