[Cob] Silverfish, Tornadoes, and Humidity -- and roof!

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 20:53:04 CST 2005

I hope someone else can tell us about the chains. And the roof.  Might be
rain chains to keep water away from the door there, but unless it's running
into an underground tank, I don't see why someone would want to run water
off the roof to right there.  But there are some things ON the roof that
MIGHT send the water down to the chains.

Don't know if the kind of roof has a name.  It's made of round wood, looks
like it might be well insulated/ventilated.  In addition to the strange
shape.  Which I gather you can "just do."   If you have a cooperative
structural engineer.  Or a really good sense of how structure works.
Without one--or both--of those resources, people tend to put a plate up at
the top, to spread the load out over the cob between rafters/purlins,
whatever, as well as directly under them.  Which they may well have done
here as well, even if I can't see it.

Carmen wondered about some Cob Cottage photographs. (snipped to the point
that I thought I had to put the URLs for the pictures back in.)   Hilde's
house:

http://www.cobworks.com/images/hilde/hildesoutsidehighview.jpg
and
http://www.cobworks.com/images/hilde/hildesoutsidefrontdoor.jpg

Would that be what the chains on this cob cottage are for?
  What  kind
of roof is that and is it very difficult to do? It looks almost like it is
rather precariously balanced, and yet it also looks very solid.