[Cob] Foundation trenches

Lance Collins collinsl at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 23 13:26:28 CST 2005

Hi Lucynda,

>I haven't dug my trenches yet, but plan to begin either this fall or next
>spring.  I am going to do it by hand simply because i have seen what
>having heavy equipment on the property can do.  They had to bring
>bulldozers in to make a space in the woods for the mobile home we are
>currently living and and it completely destroyed the area and damaged the
>few trees that remained.

I've had bulldozers on site and know what you mean, but the amount of
collateral damage does depend on the driver.   That said excavators come in
many sizes and the smaller ones are NOT heavy machinery.  The trenching I
described in an earlier post was done with an excavator with rubber tracks
and there was no sign of it's presence (apart from the trench!) a week later.

Go and dig a yard of trench by hand and then see if you really want to
continue.   When I was 30 and on sandy loam I'd do it by hand, now I'm 64
and on really hard ground it's a machine for sure.

Lance