[Cob] my 2 cents on the cob bathtub: 100 gallon mini-tsunami

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sun Mar 27 01:27:06 CST 2005

Wrong, the 600-700 years of cob building experience has only proven
that cob walls are excellent at resisting blown rain, with a good coat
of lime.  Standing water on flat surfaces or pooled in a tub is a very
different thing.  I don't recall seeing 600 year old cob bathtubs
anywhere in the literature or vernacular :-)  So here we are on our
computer e-list speculating about a cob bathtub "might" work if we
could just figure out how to seal it!

Linseed oil is porous, though less than the highly absorbent clay.  Any
water sitting on an oiled cob surface will eventually penetrate.  This
will ultimately result in the decomposition of the straw which holds
cob together and finally the failure of the cob bathtub.  We observe
this water penetration in our very well oiled and beeswaxed cob
benches, where pooled rainwater eventually soaks into the bench.

Now, if your tub was outside on a back stoop, perhaps no problem with
the gradual seepage and eventual failure of the material.  But if you
built the tub inside, you might be sorry when the tub fails and a
mini-tsunami of warm bathwater floods your interior space!

So the debate is about how to seal our cob bathtub with something much
more impermeable and probably more "unnatural" than linseed - asphalt
emulsion, portland cement (?not so sure, since this is porous too!),
Varathane or other acrylic compounds, latex, ???

I vote for taking an old cast iron, ceramic lined tub and encasing it
in well oiled and waxed cob surroundings.  I still don't know if I'd
trust this peripheral cob to resist the constant soaking of a tub
environment, but at least I wouldn't have to worry about the failure
and flood of 100 gallons of warm water into my house.

Ocean Liff-Anderson
_____

Steward, Ahimsa Sanctuary  http://www.peacemaking.org
Proprietor, Intaba's Kitchen  http://www.intabas.com