[Cob] Cob Countertop

pauln pauln at ravenisle.com
Sat Apr 2 22:32:52 CST 2005

I am building an alternative house and I am trying to find out how to
build a sink and counter top for the kitchen.  I've followed the cob
bathtub tread with great interest.  I am skeptical about a cob sink.
It's not so much that I don't think it is possible, it's more that I
don't think that that I have enough time to experiment to get it right
(after all, it's only after a long time that you know if it will work).
I am open to adding stabilizers, like lime and cement, but I'm still
nervous about using it for a sink.  I'm not set on a cob sink, it's more
the counter top that I'd like to use some form of cob for because it
isn't straight.

Does anyone have any experience that would help me find the right kind
and proportion of stabilizers I should use?  I would assume that I would
have a better chance of getting the right mix for the counter top
because moisture wouldn't be as much of a concern as a sink, however I
would then be more concerned with how durable it is.

Any thoughts?

Paul
http://www.ravenisle.com/cob