[Cob] a cob bathtub

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 2 06:26:15 CST 2005

Charmaine posted this note to me (CC cob list) with a note that she didn't
think her posts were showing up.  I know I haven't seen anything recently
from her, and I did spot a possible problem, so....

Charmaine's note (snipped of the message to me):

a tub of cob was made by Teresa Berube  but she  never has used it, and told
me her plan was to coat it with linseed oil, or wax.

her booklet explained how to place hot stones into tepid water to bathe..but
she said she has not done it, and does not live full time in the cob
dwelling she made as an experiment.

i am not dissing her, but I do want to  make clear that  there are few solid
cob sinks and tubs in use that I know of... one in S America I believe was
shown in a photo last year, and it is a sink, counter drainboard combo all
of cob if I remember correctly.

it may be entirely possible to do this, but the  better solution may be to
simply wrap an older tub in cob all around, and not ask the clay to do  so
much work on repelling water.  Adding lime to the mix will make a water
resistant tub..but is not pure cob.

I have birdbaths of clay + lime and PAPER--- and they hold water, but are
slowly degrading over the years...but they do work well.

It is the lime doing the sealing of the bowl ..and holding the water.

        Charmaine Taylor Publishing    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  -- 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  &  www.papercrete.com