[Cob] a cob bathtub

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Fri Apr 1 20:44:50 CST 2005

AMANDA... IF THIS DOES NOT GET TO THE COB LIST CAN YOU SEND IT FOR ME?
my emails are bouncing out it seems...
++++++++++++

  a tub of cob was made by Teresa Berube  but she  never has used it,
and told me her plan was to coat it with linseed oil, or wax.

her booklet explained how to place hot stones into tepid water to
bathe..but she said she has not done it, and does not live full time in
the cob dwelling she made as an experiment.

i am not dissing her, but I do want to  make clear that  there are few
solid cob sinks and tubs in use that I know of... one in S America I
believe was shown in a photo last year, and it is a sink, counter
drainboard combo all of cob if I remember correctly.

  it may be entirely possible to do this, but the  better solution may
be to simply wrap an older tub in cob all around, and not ask the clay
to do  so much work on repelling water.  Adding lime to the mix will
make a water resistant tub..but is not pure cob.

I have birdbaths of clay + lime and PAPER--- and they hold water, but
are slowly degrading over the years...but they do work well.

It is the lime doing the sealing of the bowl ..and holding the water.

         Charmaine Taylor Publishing    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  -- 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  &  www.papercrete.com