[Cob] two rocket stoves

Copper Harding copperharding at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 16:58:31 CDT 2005

Shannon said:

Basically here are some of the trade offs:

  - Your quick heat of the air from the exposed
barrels will be more
    uniform with two systems.

  - It may be easier to get maximum heat extraction
from two systems
    (depending on your design and available bench
space).

  - Building two systems will be a fair bit more work.

  - Lighting and stoking two systems will be a bit
more work and may be
    messier if the wood feed on the two systems are
not located
together.

  - With two systems, if something goes wrong with one
(critter gets in
    and builds a nest, part of the interior eventually
burns out and
falls
    in blocking the system, etc.), at least you have a
spare one to
heat
    with.

  - Two systems will eat more of your interior space.

Basically, there is no right answer to your question,
there shouldn't
be
any problems with having two systems in the house (I'm
not sure what
your
concern was with this, maybe I'm just mis-reading your
message), but
only
you can weight the trade offs.

---------

You're absolutely right about ME weighing the trade
offs.  However, having such a nice list of trade-offs
really helps in the weighing process.  ;-)

I realize that it's extra work, space and materials.
However, I discovered myself with a bit of extra space
under the stairs and somehow started to wonder!!

I don't know that I had any particular concerns (but
IF I did you certainly laid them to rest ;).  I just
had never THOUGHT of two systems and started wondering
how they would affect my comfort, etc.

Thanks to all who replied!!

I'm still waiting for the frost to go out.  The
commercial construction guys 20 miles away can punch
through but they have BIG equipment!!

Best,

Copper

Ms. Copper Harding

If you can walk, you can dance
If you can talk, you can sing  --- from Zimbabwe

When you're out of balance
  gravity tends to get you down. -L.L. Harding

P.O. Box 125
Hawley, MN 56549
www.copperharding.com