[Cob] cob in a cold climate

Ava Walker avapwalker at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 19:32:57 CDT 2005

hello any/all northern, cold climate cobbers,
Last summer I built a cob wall with built in benches, niches, arches and
planters in Yukon, northern Canada where it's COLD and DRY and the winter
season is LONG.  We don't typically get a lot of precipitation, except for
this winter, of course, so the bench is covered with snow, which will start
to melt, then freeze, then god-only-knows-what .... I left it unfinished on
purpose to see how it would weather. This summer I want to finish the
structure and apply a water resistant natural finishing plaster.  I'm
looking for practical advice on types of finishing plasters that will resist
rain and possibly seal against the snow thawing/spring melt issue.  I've
read the books and taken courses, but none address building in this intense
cold climate.  Any experience out there?  What's been successful?  What
seems to work over time in Alaska? in Norway? or Iceland?  Suggestions and
ideas from proven builders in similar climates are welcome.
Thanks.  Ava