[Cob] Land

Lee Shultz Lee.Shultz at westrimcrafts.com
Mon Apr 18 15:43:04 CDT 2005

Hi, Teresa.

I know this is a little late. I haven't been reading email for a few days.

I've been doing the same kind of search for land. I have decided about 99% to build in the Silver City, NM area. It is in the southwest section of NM. The climate is mild and sunny, the Gila National Forest is very close, as is the high desert, The City of Rocks, and the Gila Cliff Dwellings. The land is still relatively inexpensive, and much of it is "unrestricted rural," which means there are few, if any, building codes. A lot of the land is secluded enough that no one would see what you are doing, anyway.

There is already a considerable amount of natural building going on there. The Canelo Project is close by, as is Catherine Wenek's (of strawbale fame) property. An elderly man struck up a conversation with me in town there, and I told him I wanted to buy land and build. He asked, "straw or mud?" There are lots of nice people there.

Silver City is a small town, a hot spot for artists. There is also an artist commune close by. There is a good hospital and also a university. There is a good organic food co-op. However, if you really want to be secluded, there is plenty of land in the smaller towns around Silver City, and around Lake Roberts, which is in the forest and very beautiful.

A friend of mine just moved to a small town near Silver City. She has a small, solar, cement cottage that is off the grid and on four acres. She loves it there.

Silver City is also an especially healthy place to live; the air and soil are among the cleanest in the nation.

I visited last December and liked it very much . I love that there are many different terrains in a small location. The Gila Forest reminds almost everyone I talked to of Yosemite. There are lots of beautiful mountain, valley, canyon, and desert views. The Mimbres Valley is especially gorgeous.

Here are some sites:
www.gilanet.com/silverweb/ <http://www.gilanet.com/silverweb/>
www.townofsilvercity.org/ <http://www.townofsilvercity.org/>
www.silvercity.org/ <http://www.silvercity.org/>
www.city-data.com/city/Silver-City-New-Mexico.html <http://www.city-data.com/city/Silver-City-New-Mexico.html>

I'm finishing a writing contract (I write software manuals at present) and then I am buying land on which to build a cob cottage. I can hardly wait. I am going to visit Silver City again in a month or two, and I have already found several pieces of property that I might like.

Should you decide on NM, keep in contact, and maybe we can help each other. I live in Ojai, CA (90 miles north of LA) presently, but hope to buy land, move, and start building within a year, possibly sooner.

Best Wishes,

Beverly Shultz
bevshultz at yahoo.com  (my permanent email address)