[Cob] foundation

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 08:36:48 CDT 2005

Charmaine's right, it might make sense if you did pour your stemwall.
Depending on how much rain you get, it might need to be a bit taller, inside
and out, than Owens' (the one in the DVD).

Yep, building stone walls is an art.  You either love it or hate it, and
people who love it can't be hurried.  As long as the urbanite doesn't have
rebar in it (much preferred!) you may be able to score and break it.  Some
kinds of stone can be shaped more easily than others.  Roughly is fine, as
long as you don't make little columns of stones, and you DO have big jobs
spanning the width of the wall fairly frequently.

Or use SLIPFORM STONE WALLS the way the Nearings did.

You might look at a book on stone walls.  There are lots of them.

Or, what the heck, concrete block uses less concrete than slabs, so you
could put in a double wall, ties between the sections, and get some
insulation in there, between the two rows of block and in the block
cavities.

The DVD mentioned, "Building with Awareness" is good.  Production values are
excellent, no small matter.  All the Amazon reviews are 5-star, including
mine, which a) has a typo in it and b) is by far the most curmudgeonly of
the lot.  The plastering sections alone are worth it.  The woman's voice,
the specially composed music, and the incessant repetition of the word
"aesthetic" did get to me.  And after that long song and dance about less
concrete, he has a slab floor.  This is a codes approved house, so he may
have had to, but couldn't he have agonized a bit over it?

Lisa wondered how to do a foundation/stemwall, Charmaine answered her:

Ted Owens in his new DVD about his tiny SB-adobe  house showed how he did a
trench with rubble and Urbanite ( the word you wanted) in it, the a small
pour of cement at the top  of X inches... so it saved on consumption of
portland cement for  a big perimeter pour.