[Cob] foundation

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:05:00 CDT 2005

My suspicion is that concrete production is a lot less polluting than say,
smelting copper, and maybe the worst thing about concrete is that the planet
uses way way way too much of it.  On the other hand, it does a lot of things
a lot better--and especially faster--than anything else.  And if you are
getting the concrete truck out to deliver your stuff, you are supporting
local business.

I do keep wondering why, if concrete wicks moisture up into our cob, why
it's OK to use urbanite--or aged concrete.
Jill Hogan replied to me:

The making of cemnet is one of the most polluting maufacturing processes and
the cement in foundations acts as a sponge and filters water up into the
cob. Why are we building in cob if not to lessen our ecological footprint.

We teach new (truly ancient) ways of living that respect the earth as a
living spirit"

"We respect each other for who we are"