[Cob] foundation

Marlin Nissen marlin_nissen at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 19:22:04 CDT 2005

Technically concrete is a mixture of aggregate and
cement,,,it's the cement that is in question.

I believe "way too much" when it comes to portland
cement usage might be an understatement on a global
warming scale. While you will be supporting local biz
I like the willingness to experiment by people on this
list......With a throwaway society at such a scale as
we have it might be possible to at least not use as
much of it. Plus I'm not sure it's as effective as it
(Portland cement) is always advertised. Tests on it
have shown it to crumble, crack etc. much quicker (100
years, if that, and done) then the traditional
alternatives (rock, lime/sand etc. that last for many
centuries)

I think you hit it on the head, Amanda, when you said
"faster" as I think that's its main positive
characteristic - available everywhere and sets fast.
(of course cracks fast too - no self healing of this
stuff)

Haven't seen any wicking problems personally but have
wondered about it. Urbanite has a little advantage
(besides just already existing) in that when it's
broken the best of it stays together more like a stone
and it breaks along fault lines that would've cracked
anyway with any stress applied.

When y'all solve the 'best choice' foundation question
we'll all celebrate. I've used block, poured cement,
wood chip/cement blocks (Faswall), rubble trenches and
they're all a pain compared to the walls!

BEst,

Marlin Nissen

<snip>