[Cob] foundation

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Apr 25 22:19:41 CDT 2005

On Apr 25, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Marlin Nissen wrote:

> I believe "way too much" when it comes to portland
> cement usage might be an understatement on a global
> warming scale.

  When I have don a few  little 'presentations' on  natural building I
get this  question too...all avoidance of OPC (ordinary Portland
cement)
...but when you look at how tiny the amount use is, and how aware
organic builders are to be sparing of its use..we are only a teeny drop
in the bucket.

Just take one look at a new highway construction..one overpass, one  4
lane road and there is no comparison on consumption like those guys

It is most admirable to avoid its usage... and if one has the time to
use a lime mortar to  stick all the rubble and stones together then
that is  great (  earthquake areas may be an issue for a lime mortared
foundation however)

Another option is the Gabions--- wire baskets filled with stones,
rubble, etc  that aren;t going anywhere once the lid is closed.  then a
slurry of lime mortar could glue them all together, and harden even
more over time (  decades) while the cob walls can start going up.

Charmaine Taylor Publishing    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  -- 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  &  www.papercrete.com
New& Used books: www.biblio.com