[Cob] foundation and new book

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 26 06:42:13 CDT 2005

I had (forgotten about gabions).  Not much excuse, because that seems to be
the best solution for the bank over the dry wash (but I want THEM to drain).

While I had been looking for the link I noticed that Skillful Means
architects had used Rastra Blocks in foundations.

Ah, it was Mikal Jakubal's straw bale vault that used gabion foundations.
Mark Piepkorn's pictures don't show the foundations very well.  Somebody's
did.

(Mark Piepkorn is one of the authors of a new book:
http://www.newsociety.com/bookid/3876 )
Charmaine wrote for all of us who had forgotten about them:
Another option is the Gabions--- wire baskets filled with stones, rubble,
etc  that aren;t going anywhere once the lid is closed.  then a slurry of
lime mortar could glue them all together, and harden even more over time (
decades) while the cob walls can start going up.