[Cob] Artweld Gabions and new book

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Apr 26 13:39:09 CDT 2005

On Apr 26, 2005, at 4:42 AM, Amanda Peck wrote:
  I had (forgotten about gabions).

> who can forget them?  : >    I drive by their  facility almost every
> other day..they are a big deal here in Eureka CA
>

> While I had been looking for the link I noticed that Skillful Means
> architects had used Rastra Blocks in foundations.
it was a bale wall... or possibly a light straw clay.. but he did use
Rastra as the foundation.

> Ah, it was Mikal Jakubal's straw bale vault that used gabion
> foundations

arch I think)    Mikal bought standard gabion baskets wider by a foot
than the bale walls would be.. and we all barked and cut our shins and
legs on them as they stuck out just far enough to be a major annoyance
to trip over and stub toes on.   . he later said he would have paid for
custom baskets had he known how troublesome that would be..live and
learn...but of course one never knows until after.. I give him credit
fro helping warn others.   The gabions stuck out just far enough to not
let you get close enough to the wall comfortably  to plaster.

he got  them from  a local  company who makes them for road
erosion..etc  so they are right in our town... see the web site
http://www.hilfiker.com/  they make ArtWeld gabions

> (Mark Piepkorn is one of the authors of a new book:   GreenBuilding
> materials   )
  <<< I have asked to see a review copy and will prolly  carry this. as
it looks to have a great list of resources!

>  Charmaine Taylor Publishing    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  -- 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  &  www.papercrete.com
New& Used books: www.biblio.com