[Cob] Building in the Tropics

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 30 12:12:36 CDT 2005

I think there may have been some people on the list somewhere in Central
America, but IIRC they were in coffee-growing areas, presumably cooler.

But Janel Kapoor of Kleiwerks has done some building in the interior of
Thailand.  While there is mountainous terrain in Thailand, the picture in
the link below does have a coconut palm and a banana tree.

http://www.sustainableabc.com/i-thailand.htm
Gus wrote:

I don't think I've ever made any contribution to the list as I've not had
anything to contribute. I do thank those that do and have learned a lot,
especially those who run this list.

My name is Gus and I am an experienced contractor, mostly in renovations and
rehabilitation of property.  I own a beachfront lot on the Pacific side of
Nicaragua near a small town called San Juan del Sur.  There are only 2
seasons, dry and wet with temperatures averaging 78 deg. F. during the wet
season and 81 deg. F during the dry season.  Obviously there is no heating
problem, but cooling cob could be an issue.  I plan on building from 800 to
1200 sf.  A couple of questions:
     1.  Does anyone have knowledge of building in the tropics or possibly
Southern Florida?
     2.  Any recommendations as to wall thickness or other structural
considerations?
     3.  Has anyone lived in a similar climate and could you expound on your
experience?

I have read and studied both Ianto Evans' and Becky Bee's books.  I've also
ordered the latest edition of Ianto Evans' book.

I hope to build for myself and maybe teach the locals and others about cob.

Thanks,
Gus Cabrera