[Cob] Outhouse

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 30 12:26:29 CDT 2005

Unfortunately, the semi-hippie/earthchild daughter probably has it right.  I
know they don't smell, you can use toilet paper!, they do give you lots of
good compost, that Jenkins has had his compost tested for pathogens
(negative!), but still....

I was kind of horrified to hear a woman who visits frequently (and has for
15 years or more) at a nearby community complain that she couldn't ask
anyone to visit with her because there was a mouldering toilet outhouse.
Sawdust toilets (and her own household has one in the guest room) pretty
well disgust her.  Flush toilets are good (the very low water use airline or
boat or travel trailer type is OK, but only as long as it flushes into a
septic tank!).  She'd probably say the same thing about the store-boughten
composting toilets--bad, it doesn't flush away!.

Judith Williams wrote:

I am so happy to hear all the good things about the sawdust toilet. I made
the mistake of telling my family that I was going to make my own composting
toilet according to the plans in the Humanure Handbook. Even my
semi-hippie/earthchild daughter made utterances of disgust. Someone even
said I shouldn't be surprised if I didn't get a lot of company. Imagine
that!