[Cob] Outhouse

Karin secondfiddle at baymoon.com
Mon May 2 20:33:06 CDT 2005

I have been using a composting toilet system for more than 20 years now as
have many of my neighbors. It works very well. Even guests can get used to
it but do seem rather put off at first. (my In-laws would only stay until
they needed to use the facitities and then bee-line it back to town) It
really doesn't smell. It is a bit more 'hands-on' that most people like to
be with their own potential compost but after using the compost for my
orchard and wine grapes all these years I wouldn't use a flush system. What
a waste of a great resource!!

As I plan and dig the foundation of my new single story cob stucture, I have
planned in a compost toilet and outside bathing area which is basically what
I have now in the stick house I live in. Homemade compost toilets seem to
work better than the bought kind. I was given one of the expense ones
(Sun-mar?) I can't remember the brand. What a pain in the neck it was
compared with the way I had been doing the composting. I gave it to a
neighbor who also didn't like it. My composter is in a separate building
than the house but some of my neighbors have theirs in a room inside the
house. I prefer mine in a separate building. At this time I have 4
composters around the property . 2 of these use 5 gallon bucket that are
emptied into a compost pile like the humanure book suggests and the other
two use a 55 gallon barrel. I use sawdust and/or wood shaving from my planer
then when I put the manure in the pile I cover it with oak leaves and a tarp
and leave it  to compost for at least a year.
Both systems have their pros and cons.
Karin