[Cob] Outhouse

lucynda riley dragonfly_183 at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 22:56:07 CDT 2005

  You know when i first mentioned the sawdust toilet to my husband i also
got a "hell no" reaction.  But i keep reminding him of how badly the back
yard was torn up when they put the septic tank in and how hard it has been
coaxing the native grasses to return,  How we lived with a mud pit for the
first year and a half and how expensive the local water (the well water in
our area is nasty).  he is slowly coming around.
  What surprised me though is i mentioned a sawdust toilet on "Susan Weeds
Wise Woman Forum" and got a lot of negative reactions . . . I guess it
surprised me because several of these women have gone as far as to stop
using soap and shampoo to clean themselves . . .  i figured they would be
much more open to the idea.
  I personally don't get it though . . . we are willing to pay money to buy
50 pound bags of cow manure but are horrified at the thought of putting our
own manure on our gardens.