[Cob] Cobbale

dorethy at juno.com dorethy at juno.com
Mon May 9 12:23:34 CDT 2005

Teresa, I have  cobbale house, not quite 400 round feet, that took me two summers to build.  Sorry, dear, but "fast" and "cheap" are oxymoronic, unless you have a big family who all pitch in without remuneration.  I've had to hire quite a bit done, including stomping the cob, as my old bod was wearing out!
My bales, set on their sides, have 6 inches of cob on the interior walls (this was ribbed), and 4 inches on the exterior.  Covered, then, with earthen plaster, and then lime plaster--a total of at least 2 feet thick.  We get very cold winters in Kansas, as well as very hot summers.  Having only been in it since November, I can only attest to the wonderful warm climate I had during the winter--we'll see about the summer, but I'm in the woods, so shade is all around, and I think a nice cross breeze will be sufficiently cool.

Still, like you, I like instant gratification; so I'll be building my next pod (living room) with post and beam with strawbale infill.  Sorry to disappoint all the cob purists out there.  Any more questions, I'll be happy to answer.
Dorethy