[Cob] Top soil

Bill&Julie wbates at mn.rr.com
Sun May 22 06:31:09 CDT 2005

Hello Jane,,, Humus is the Bad culprit in cob,

http://www.ar.wroc.pl/~weber/typy2.htm

This link is the first one I found for Humus Identification.

Humus is the plant matter in soil. If you put a rock in your yard, it will

kill and rot the humus. And the rock will sink into the soil. ( In a year )

I laid some rocks around my clothes line pole ten years ago,

and the divot they caused is still there.

All this is to say, that humus in top soil is not dimensionally stable.

While the COB may not notice 1% top soil, 20 or 30% would not be

a good thing. When is shrinks the cob will fail.

A person could always test to prove their system and for

Quality Control. You probably should do that anyway.

Label and Document batches...

Hope this helps,,, bill