[Cob] Top soil

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun May 22 06:48:47 CDT 2005

Good topsoil is a valuable resource.  I wish I had it.  Went to a plant swap
the other day, had to dig the plants I dug with a pick--shovel doesn't make
it on my property.

Topsoil going to have a lower clay and/or sand content than the subsoil,
just because of the organic matter.

But no experience.  If I did it might not work for your soil anyway.

(what passes for topsoil around here is reputed to have blown a thousand or
more miles east from the Dust Bowl in the 1930's--if true we must have been
well on our way to losing all we had.)

Jane from Denmark asks:

Does anyone have any experience - good or bad - with the presence of top
soil in cob? I know that you are not supposed to use it, but how bad is it
if you get a smaller amount mixed in to your cob mix?

The thing is, that we have a lot of top soil mixed piles of subsoil sand
lying around. It was kind of hard to keep apart when we digged out the
foundation (we used a machine, and the site is sloping), but it would be
nice to be able to use it.

Jane