[Cob] RE: masonry heaters and pigment in plasters

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue May 24 17:47:38 CDT 2005

Thanks.  At a guess, if you're building a temporary soapstone heater at a
conference, you may not need a damper.  But can't they either go up as in
the chimney or down, as in an air intake?

Also, many if not all of the masonry heaters are intended to burn fast and
hot, soak up heat and then release it slowly.  In that case, the "only"
reason you'd need a damper is for safety reasons--as opposed to regulating
the flame to keep the fire at the level you want it.

Sometimes TSC (tractor supply company--chain store headquartered in
Nashville) has firebrick for rebuilding one's wood-stove..  It's still
expensive.  But a local "hearth and patio" shop should have it, a brick
place might.

Mary Lou wrote:

I REALLY like the links Amanda sent for the MHA.  The small heater section
clarified the process for me , except where to put the damper.  Any
suggestions?  I was also wondering..where do you buy firebrick?  The only
source that I know of is a kiln manufacturing outlet (mail order) for people
re-building their kilns.
Also, being an old hand at coloring easter eggs, I know you set your colors
with vinegar.  Has anybody tried mixing their pigments with vinegar before
adding to the plaster mix?  I would think that it would offset the
characteristics of the lime a little bit anyway.