[Cob] bad idea/good idea??

Copper Harding copperharding at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 21:53:21 CDT 2005

I hope everyone is out in the dirt enjoying their
summer cobbing projects!!  Myself, well, I got into a
"discussion" with a friend about doing a strawbale
wrap around the north side of a building.  I am
curious if you build your stemwall only wide enough
for the cob (load bearing part of the building)...

Would it be possible AFTER you finished the building
to build an on-grade stemwall outside of the cob wall
and place a strawbale wrap on top of it?  Would you
need to tie it into the cob somehow?

I'm assuming regular exterior finished of the
strawbale to look similar to the cob.  Would you need
to tie in the stemwall "addition" to the old stemwall
(somehow, somewhere :)

I'd love to get feedback on this as I thought it was
an intruiging idea...

Thank you,

Copper

Ms. Copper Harding

If you can walk, you can dance
If you can talk, you can sing  --- from Zimbabwe

When you're out of balance
  gravity tends to get you down. -L.L. Harding

P.O. Box 125
Hawley, MN 56549
www.copperharding.com